Searching for a J Drama/Movie?

Check out the online J Drama Store!

Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Boss My Hero (2006)


The fondest and silliest details of school life in a humorous package!

Having just rewatched GTO, my flair for J dramas' heart lifting effect rekindled. So I searched around looking for J dramas of comparable quality and originality, and I came upon several, one of them was 'My Boss My Hero'. So then I decided to give it a try and the night of the 1st episode nearly threw my sister and me into a laughing fit.


It was really that funny, especially the pudding fight and other scenes where the yazuka leader, Makio was defeated by the little situations of daily school life. It really pushes the plot to a interesting level to see the reactions of Makio, his classmates and his actions as he is forced to blend in as a student.


With time, he learns the feeling of true love and that there are many issues violence can't solve, no matter how undefeatable he is. The roles of his friends and teachers fit well with the plot too, such as the stern female teacher(the Iron Face) played by Yuu Kashii , his soft spoken classmate played by Tegoshi Yuya of the band NEWS whom Makio can never remember his full name, and his love interest, a sweet looking and innocent girl played by Aragaki Yui in his class.


In my opinion, I think the 1st episode carries the strongest weight of laughter among the rest. Despite the fact that some episodes have really interesting ideas, I feel the ideas weren't fully utilized to bring out the humor. But this series is not all about comedy, it has some memorable and touching moments from its second act onwards, which made me feel sad for Makio.


The ending is still alright, though it feels rather fast and incomplete in a way, mostly regarding the female teacher(Iron Face). For those who loves school drama and a heart lifting plot, My Boss My Hero is definitely one you should check out! Because of Nagase Tomoya's unique role in this drama, we were later introduced to his band, TOKIO after some googling.

*Episodes are available for viewing at Dramacrazy.


Below info taken from DramaWiki

Episodes: 10

Genre:
School Drama, Comedy

Viewership ratings:
18.91

Broadcast period:
2006-Jul-08 to 2006-Sep-16

Air time:
Saturday 21:00

Songs:


Cast


General Synopsis

Sakaki Makio, also known as "Tornado" is a tough 27-year-old high school drop-out. By academic standards, he's pretty dumb. His father decides to force Makio to return to high school to receive his diploma and he asks an old friend who happens to be the principal of a nearby school to admit Makio. If Makio doesn't graduate, the position of boss will be given to his younger brother, Mikio.


Furthermore, he must pose as a 17-year-old during school hours and in the presence of any classmates or teachers outside of school. If his cover is blown, it would be the end of his high school career as well as his hopes to become boss. Things start out rough and tough as Makio's violent temper is tested. As the lessons and days go by he learns there is much more to school than just tests and studying.



No comments:

Post a Comment